10.22.2012

the list


I love writing desks.  I actually have two in my home, one in my dedicated home office, a black asian style of somewhat recent vintage.  (It's one of the few pieces in my home that came from a regular furniture store.  I bought it after Katrina from the store at which I worked):


And I have a vintage hotel desk that I recently painted to use as a desk/sewing table in my guest room:

And one of my favorite things to use a writing desk for is making a list.  I love making lists, I always have.  Or as least as long as I can remember.  In fact, when I was young, my favorite fictional character, one I greatly identified with, was Betsy Ray of the Betsy-Tacy series.  And one of the reason I liked her so was because of her constant list making.  Betsy used her uncle's trunk as a writing desk.  I managed to scavenge an old trunk for my room to use as a writing desk.  Believe me, even as a teenager, kneeling on a tile floor to try and do your homework on a trunk is not easy.  Let's just say that experience was one of the ways I learned to know the difference between what works in fiction and what works in real life.

In Vera Neville's charming illustration, Betsy ray is making one of her lists on the trunk she used as her writing desk.
I really do find that planning is always the key to any successful project, and, for me, planning always begins with a list.  As I mentioned in my last post, beyond my usual fall nesting syndrome, I have an event coming up at my house in Dec. (my reception for our commitment ceremony), and I'd like the house to look it's best.  Therefore, I've been compiling my to do list.

However, before diving into the ugliness of all I have to do to make my house pretty again, let's look at some pretty pictures:  writing desks and home offices from Elle Decor. All have the Boho look I love (translation.....there's a lot happening in these rooms---except perhaps for purging and dusting):







My Current To Do List:

Deadline:  Dec. 21, 2012

*Note*  While I would like to accomplish everything on this list, and by my commitment ceremony, a lot of the times are of a non-essential nature.  That is, they're about fine tuning some decor items or change for change's sake.  I do plan to focus on the more important items.  

These important items  include repairing and finishing items in the backyard, which is where I'm planning to have my reception.  The other big priority is doing something to my laundry room, because it includes a sink and toilet and is, in essence, my powder room when I use the backyard for entertaining.  I started talking about decorating the room in the spring, but have made very little progress beyond some very basic plans.


Downstairs:

Exterior/Front:
--neaten beds
--plant seasonal color in pots
--touch up door and porch floor paint
--clean porch ceiling
--new pillow covers for porch chairs

Living Room:
--Rework existing cafe curtains
--Move side tables and butler's tray
--Switch out pillow covers on sofa (already have the covers)
--make new pillow covers for side chairs
--recover piano bench
--find or make new sofa throw
--move rug upstairs to den

Dining Room:
--make tailored white cloth for table
--redo existing sheer draperies and move in decorative panels from office
--frame large photo
--cover or replace lamp shades
--rework mantle display
--polish silver

Office:
--clean up book cases
--repaint horizontal stripes
--make roman shade or cafe curtains for window
--slipcover chair
--touch up paint on railing

Kitchen:
--style
--fix draperies (hem properly and line)
--add center support to drapery rod
--touch up ceiling paint

Laundry:
--paint
--replace shelf over machines with hanging pole
--paint bookcase to match walls
--move in mirror for over sink
--paint sink cabinet
--create art
--make "closet" and privacy wall for toilet area
--make window treatments
--find outdoor rug 

Garage/Studio:
 --Touch up paint and paint added beam
--hang bikes from ceiling beam
--clean
--make cover for grill
--dispose of unwanted paint
 --put another coat of paint on doors

Backyard:
 --make bigger top for buffet and skirt it
--paint furniture
--repair broken chairs
--recover throw pillows
--have damaged portion of fence (thank you, Hurricane Isaac) replaced
 --plant something in  empty pots (only a handful)


 Upstairs

Master:
--paint hutch like the faux Moroccan chest I painted for a client :
Tutorial here
--patch quilt
--make duvet cover
--fix bedskirt
--fix Roman shades
--touch up paint
--paint closet
--curtain closet?

Den:
--hang mirror or art over butler's tray
--replace handles on butler's tray and gold leaf the silver hardware
--jazz up painted side table
--touch up or recover ottoman
--recover pillows in side chairs
--move rug back up
--clean out closet

Bath:
--press cafe curtains and sew on rings
--buy orchid

Hallway:
--touch up railing
--touch up doors and trim

Guest room:
--clean out drawers
--organize Christmas storage
--finish client projects taking up valuable space in closet


Honestly, the only really major project is the laundry room and backyard.  I've already lined up some professional help for the laundry, and Thomas is working on getting the fence back together and can be counted on for painting the furniture and doors.  I'll try to keep you updated on progress.

Peace out!! (translation:  after looking at that list, in print, I need a drink!)








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing list! I'm also a list maker and can identify with that need to organize ;)