4.19.2010

Alternative Art for Metamorphasis Monday

It's Monday, so it's time for Metamorphasis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.

When hanging art, I like to have a mix of different types, framed prints, art on canvas, mirrors, sculptural pieces, etc, for interest.  Therefore, I'm always on the hunt for unique and inexpensive wall decor.

Last year, I fournd these great solid doors on the street and snagged them:
I turned them, which the addition of legs left over from another project, into benches:

When I was working on the doors, I noticed the latches were still attached and had developed a great patina.  I put them aside for later use, and recently had a brain storm:  they would look great mounted in a shadow box or on canvas.  I actually had a couple of primed canvases on hand, so I gathered supplies and got started:

Since the latches are light weight and had holes, I decided to stitich them in place.  You could also use hot glue.

A few minutes, and a couple of stitches later, voila, art:

The original white of the primed canvas actually worked best for me, but they could always be painted or covered in fabric to coordinate with your decor.  This would also be a great way to display interesting keys, pendants, brooces, and buttons.  Just adjust the canvas size to fit the proportion of the item.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very original -- I like it a lot!

Have you gold-leafed the dog yet?

Scribbler

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Quite unique display - I like it! I also like the cat in the header photo...what a cutie! Stop over to enter a giveaway contest

One Cheap B*tch said...

Love everything you did here! Coming over from Between Naps on the Porch and a happy new follower!

Jeanine

Mary said...

Love seeing creativity in action!

You got me thinking about all the stuff I have boxed away and what I could do with them and a canvas. It would definitely be unique art and good conversation pieces. :)

Mar gar et said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love the patina on old door hardware. I don't have any so I had to paint some. But I'm on the lookout, yes I am.