4.07.2010

Benched: A mini-upholstery project

Here's a quick before and after.  One often needs a small upholstered stool or ottoman--a place to put your feet up, a movable side table (with the addition of  a tray or large book), or, as  I used it for here, a vanity seat.  I decided to turn an existing bench into a fully upholstered ottoman with the illusion of inverted pleat corners.

The starting point, a piano style bench purchased from Bombay Company.  I unscrewed the top.  (Since the needlepoint was handstiched by the client, I left it intact.  Quite frankly, removing it would have resulted in a better end result.)

First, I measured 4 corner from the top of the bench to the floor, adding 4 inches at the bottom for a hem, and an inch to be stapled to the top.  I machine sewed the hem since the fabric ( a linen blend) was coarse enough to hide the stitching).  It was also thick enough no backing was needed.  If using a finer fabric, I would have needed to use lining or interfacing and hand sewed the hem.  If you don't sew, Stitch-Witch or a similar fusible iron-on tape could be used.  Since the sides will not be seen, I didn't hem in order to reduce bulk.  After hemming, I used a staple gun to attach to the frame.



I next measured the sides of the bench.  In addition to adding 5 inches for hem and stapling, I added 2 inches to each side for a side hem.  I used fusible tape to avoid a stitch line.  I then stapled the sides in the same manner as the corners, placing them on top of the corners.



I then applied the short sides in the same manner, positioning them so that they met the front and back.

I then stretched the fabric over the seat, stapling in place.  For added definition, I used self cording.  If you don't want to go to the trouble of making cording, cording can be purchased.  I then screwed the top back into place. 


Sorry, I don't have a better finished pic, but before I could photograph it in place in the client's home, I developed camera issues, and I haven't had a chance to go back their.  I have a more involved upholstery project to show in the near futuer.

3 comments:

Carla Fox said...

I was just thinking the other day "is there anything this guy CAN'T do? I bet he doesn't do upholstery!" And wouldn't you know it, you CAN! Great job!

Ange said...

What a great makeover. I think I'll have to have a go at this.
Angex

Anonymous said...

You should send this to the betterafter blog. It's great.