6.16.2010

Breathe, damn you, breathe.....


Sorry for the lack of posting, but it's been hetic.  I've freelanced as a decorator/decorative painter for the last 4 years, and one thing I've learned is that it's either feast or famine as far as work goes.  Unfortunately, since we had back to back hurricane scares and an economic fallout in the summer of '08, I've been doing a lot less eating lately.  It hasn't been all bad...I've taken care of projects around the house, including making slipcovers and gardening, but it has been scary slow as far as income during that period.  However, in the past month or so, things have taken off.  First, I accepted a part time job at an interior design studio/design boutique---20 or so hours a week.  It was nice to settle back into a regular routine, and one thing I've missed about a traditional work environment is the camraderie.  Besides, at around 20-25 hours a week, I'd have plenty of time for the limited and small projects I've gotten lately.

Was I wrong!  First, after starting work, the other shop person left, a huge project geared up, and we had to consolidate storage overflow and new merchandise on the floor, plus they wanted me to help develop marketing and e-advertising (A million years ago I went to business school before switching to design), so the 25 hours stretched to more than 30.  Then a project I was proposing with a partner (and thought was dead in the water) actually went through, and demanded immediate action as the clients wanted the bulk of the work done while on vacation.  Then, a faux finish project I had to halt because of construction delays got put on the front burner.  Then, a client called desperate because she had a party approaching.  THEN, another client finally moved into her home after a two year building ordeal and SHE was having a party...a week after the first party...the same week that the kitchen needs finishing and the clients are on vacation.....OMG!!!!!!

I'm not complaining because I certainly need the income boost after the past slow 18 months, but I'm about to die juggling all of this.  The good news is that I've sold quite bit of art to one of the clients, and I'll soon have some pretty pictures to share.

The 10-16 hour days have taught me one humiliating fact, though.  Over the past couple of months, I've ranted about housework, and how I'm the person stuck doing the bulk of it.  Since I've been working so much, I haven't been home during the day or cooking.  And the house is, while not spotless---the dog and cats make sure there's always something to vacuum---it's stayed clean and neat.  That means only one thing....I'M the culprit.  I've been causing the miss with my unfinished projects, stacks of books, and elaborate meal preparation.  In other words, I should have been doing the cleaning since I've been making the mess.  Please don't mention these findings to Thomas....

3 comments:

Denise said...

I'm a computer consultant (technical writer and software tester) and my life is similar to yours. I'm either working 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, or I'm not working at all. Unfortunately, I'm in the not-working-at-all phase right now. Heavy sigh.

Good luck with all your projects! And don't worry, I won't tell Thomas about your discovery. However, he may have figured it out for himself. A long time ago.

Unknown said...

Imagine my surprise at the very thought that YOU could be behind the mess in your house.

Mary said...

Aha! You've been messing up the house! :) That's funny.

Wow...you are busy!!! I'd love to see some posts on all your projects once you're finished.